Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM TonyM is offline

Default Box Elder?

I'm with Barry, it is definitely not box elder. Box elder has no
distinction between heartwood and sapwood. If it is Osage the wood would be
very heavy. Could be mulberry if its not that heavy. Here is a link to
some articles I wrote on box elder, Osage and locust.
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/page44.html Hope this helps.
Tony Manella
nod"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com

"rjdankert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, My first post here. I have been reading here for awhile. Also
other sites and the library. Bouoght my first lathe this winter
(mini). I have turned a few things - tool handles etc. but no bowls.
I have some logs (9-11 in. dia 16-20 in. long) and I' like to try
some bowls. I live in SW Michigan. The logs came from a tree that a
friend had cut down this spring. The person that cut the tree said it
was a box elder. A few days ago I took the bark off of one piece then
split it with a wedge down the middle. I then took one of the halves
and cut two sides off with the bandsaw. The result is he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10171074@N02/

1.) Is this wood box elder? I did a fair amount for research on the
web. My understanding is that the heartwood should be a cream color.
The heartwood on this piece is a golden color and there are no red
streeks. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the tree's leaves.

2.) If not box elder what else might it be and what might it be used
for?

3.) The piece that I cut will be cut for two bowl blanks that I am
going to try to turn in the next few days. At this point I don't know
what I'm going to do with the rest. What is the best way to keep
these if I decide I might want to make something from this wood? I
don't know what or when.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Bob