Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default 2x4 Fork Lift

DanG wrote:
| If the tinner's jack will work for you, that's great. Be aware
| that the design of the hoist will not allow you to pick up
| conventional pallets. I noticed your pallet appears open on the
| bottom and would work as long as the legs of the hoist can fit you
| pallet design.

I'm not sure that the Genie will do what I want for pallets, but is
the best thing I've seen for lifting panels into place for difficult
installations. The fact that it can be transported to a job site in a
pickup or van is a plus (maybe).

| There are many brands of these, they are common as duct hoists on
| new construction:
| BillJax
| Genie
| Sumner

Thanks for adding to the list!

| If you where going to stay wood, how where you thinking to get
| enough strength where the forks meet the framework?

In the short term I'll use wood because of cost. I've reworked the
design of the carrier to use a 2x6 vertical member to which I can bolt
a 2x4 fork (tine?) - I'll attach a sketch so you can see my thought...

I'm still tinkering to see if I can attach a pair of 2x6's between
these vertical members securely enough to allow repositioning of or
adding more tines for better load distribution. I'm not sure I'll
actually need to do that, but I'm trying to think ahead of current
needs.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar