Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments

As promised on the woodworking group, here are some pictures of the
entertainment center I just completed. Despite the low quality birch
plywood from Home Depot, I'm happy with the end result.

I could only afford a 42" plasma right now, but I built the cabinet to
accomodate a 50" plasma. The modular design would also allow me to build
different shelf sections on each side if I ever need to accomodate an even
larger screen. Or, I could remove the upper sections completely to handle a
screen up to eight feet wide!

With the four main sections, the drawers, and the various shelves, there
are a lot of pieces to this puzzle... But, it makes it easy to move
around if needed.

The one "gotcha" I hadn't planned on was the stability of the fully
assembled entertainment center. While the sections all bolt together as a
single sturdy unit, this one is taller and shallower than our old
entertainment center. It was fine out on the concrete garage floor, but it
felt a little too wobbly on our padded carpet. I solved that issue with a
couple of inexpensive shelf brackets screwed to the wall studs and into the
underside of the top.

I still need to stain and poly the drawer dividers, but that's no big rush.
I'm also going to build a center section to mount the plasma to instead of
the wobbly stand it comes with. Due to the design of the TV base, the
plasma kind of sits back in the "hole". Mounting it to a new center section
will let me bring it out closer to the front of the center, and hide the
view of the wall around the TV. It should also be a lot more stable.

Attached Thumbnails
Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments-et2-jpg  Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments-et3-jpg  Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments-et4-jpg  Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments-et5-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg et1.jpg (55.0 KB, 95 views)