Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Captain's Bed, Done at Last!

On Thu, 31 May 2007 20:48:48 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 06:59:19 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Upscale wrote:
"Creighton Beryl" wrote in message
676 hours to build that? The equivalent of seventeen 40 hour weeks?
Does that include the time it took to grow the freaking trees? It's
nice enough, if that's your thing, but where did all that time go?

Looking at the log file, he built it over an 18 month period. If you
consider during that time, he likely had to get tools and supplies out each
time to continue, it's not all that unusual for excessive time to be
consumed.

There's also hours in the log installing band saw guides and some other
stuff that isn't really building the project.

Those things were directly related to the project. The router base was
needed to improve the dovetail results. I specifically got the bandsaw
guides to make sure I had the control needed to cut the curves on the
headboard posts. The posts were too wide to shape with the shaper. Turns
out the bandsaw guides didn't work as well as needed and I wound up using
the shaper by attaching the template on both sides of the post. Some
cleanup with a spokeshave was required, but it worked much better that way.

Shop cleanup, tool sharpening (arguably a part of the project since the
project was responsible for dulling the tools in the first place), router
guide, and Carter guide installation accounted for about 11:20 minutes of
the accounted time.

That should have read 11 hours, 20 minutes