Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Shop scenary (half-size planes)

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| Another interesting visitor stopped by today and I thought I'd
|| share a couple of photos...
|
| Sharp. Is it a half sized replica? I always wanted to fly the
| P-51.

This one's supposed to be 51% of the real size - and is billed as the
P-51-51. This is the second of these to come by this year. Both had 60
hp two-cycle engines, so the performance falls a tad short of 51%. I
think cruise speed is somewhere around 70 - and aerobatics would _not_
be a good idea. Mustang fans might have noticed that the prop is also
a bit smaller than 51%

I used to think it'd be a hoot to own and fly the real thing. I can't
remember the fuel consumption rate for the P-51 but it'd be an
expensive plane to fly. Too spendy for me.

I pulled the seat foreward and checked out the construction . It looks
just like one of the old Comet balsa stick models - lightweight
bulkheads with skinny stringers supporting a fabric skin.

The local ANG unit has a full-size P-51 fiberglass replica on a
pedestal at their main gate, and I drool at it every time I go to the
Des Moines airport.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar