Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Brown Doug Brown is offline

Default Question about Presure Treated Timber....

OK, ya got me confused now - tar both ends?

Bendy posts?
"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sean" wrote:

If you dig a hole, put in some hardcore/gravel and plonk in a PTT ...
back
filling with more gravel and compacting ... how will it fair with the
elements?

Basically, is it really necessary to concrete the posts in as they will
be
securely held in place by the (above ground structure).

From the point of view of the post, concrete tends to harm more than
help - it traps water and encourages rot. I normally tar both ends of a
post going in the ground (using roof-repair cold-patch tar).

If you have a building code requirement to use concrete, you have to
deal with it. Best practice as far as I know for concreting is to have
the post extending below the concrete (so it does not sit in a pocket,
but more of a ring - some potential to drain) and wrap the post with
tar-paper (or tyvek or plastic) where the concrete will be against it.

When backfilling and compacting, put in 3 inches of backfill and tamp
(compact), before putting in 3 more inches and tamping...if you backfill
all the way and then tamp, the lower parts don't get properly compacted.