Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Live Oak chaulking mallet for Leon....

wrote:
I think you just might have to do a bit more R&D on that 'corking
mallet'.

1. there are no rebound slots either side of the handle boss.

-----------------------------------
They are on the top not the side, as they were on Drew mallets (see Image).
They run from behind the front ring to just into the handle boss, as on
a Drew mallet. The slot is tuned be the owner.
This is the fist mallet I made and the one I use for caulking.
-----------------------------------
2. Live Oak was considered 2 nd quality behind the mysteriously called
Black Mesquite ( not really a Mesquite botanically).

-----------------------------------
That wood has never been successfully identified by anyone. We don't not
know what it was. Every piece of wood I've been handed that was called
"Black Mesquite" held no resemblance to a Drew mallet.
-----------------------------------
3. are the rings tempered steel with a taper on the inside?

-----------------------------------
Better, they are 4130 Chrome-molly steel.
Take a Drew mallet apart. The taper on the head rings is on the outside
with no taper on the inside.
-----------------------------------
Do a Google search on C.Drew and Co. They were the premier maker of
corking irons and mallets.

-----------------------------------
....and they have been gone for years. I did a great deal of research
before I started making these (ten years ago) including talking to
members of the Drew family and caulkers that have drew mallets.
Most of all teh records of the company were destroyed in a fire and the
old Drew factory in Plymouth MA.
I took all my measurements off of original Drew mallets including the
rings.
I'm a shipwright and was just going to make one for myself. Others saw
and liked it so much I make them for those who want one

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd/

From your source.

"The better rings are/were made from tool steel hardened and tempered. "

Not according to the Drew company and the people that have them.
I've worked with original mallet rings and they are NOT tool steel.

I also have a full selection of Drew irons to do the job.

Attached Thumbnails
Live Oak chaulking mallet for Leon....-slot-jpg