Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Garrapata Garrapata is offline

Default Live Oak chaulking mallet for Leon....

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:58:30 -0400, Kevin wrote:

This is the tool I make out of Live Oak for boat builders.
Note the knarly grain. That’s why I thought the bowl was Live Oak.
I used to get the wood from a lumber yard in Florida that milled it for
dunnage but they are no longer in business.
I'm presently looking for a new supply.
Since Live Oak has virtually no commercial value it's not readily
available. It comes mostly from trees that are either blown down or
taken down to clear land.

There are several live oaks on the west coast. Other than firewood none
have much commercial use although I think the grain - which is much like
yours- is quite attractive. One of them, Quercus chrysolepis, the Canyon
Live Oak, is also known as Maul Oak
--

09=ix