Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Donald C. Brown Donald C. Brown is offline

Default table refinished (0/1)

I have seen some criticisms from a few people in response to someone taking
an extremely old item and refurbishing it to be beautiful and usable again.
Perhaps they are correct in terms of collecting rare and ancient items just
because of their antiquity. However, I personally approve of your choice in
restoring a family heirloom to its original beauty and usefulness. If I may
say so, it looks to me like you made it even more beautiful than it was in
the beginning!

Excellent work, sir. I wish my work was as beautiful as yours.

"BumHead" wrote in message
Finally done repairing and refinishing a table passed down to my wife
from her grandmother. Took almost a year. Supposedly it is over 100
years old and was in bad shape.
All oak. Top pieces tongue and grove held together with probably
animinal hide glue. It was coming apart and the old dried glue was
hard as rocks......and nothing I could find would remove or soften it.
Had to carefully sand it off. Top skirt cracked in several places,
and a lot of work needed on the legs.
Stripped, sanded, repaired, and stained with a custom mixed color
my wife wanted. Two coats of oil based poly, four coats on the top.
Got a lot of help from the net, this group, books, other
woodworking friends. Thank you all.
Came out better than I expected, and most important my wife is
happy.