Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Sean Sean is offline

Default The Importance of Power Tools?

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sean" wrote:

types of things that are being made, but what I do is prett basic small
items of general furniture. The idea is to start small and steadily build
up
the equipment, learning new stuff and getting more and more complicated
as I
go along.

I presently have a sliding compound mitre saw, pillar drill/morticer,
circular saw, router, standard drill, power driver/drill and palm sander.
The obvious things missing from my shop at the moment are a table saw,
router table and a surface planer/joiner.

It does not all need to be power tools. If you have limited shop space,
limited funds, and/or like to listen to music while working, and are not
cranking out 100 pieces in a production atmosphere, hand tools are often
at least as fast, and sometimes faster than a shed-full of power tools.
I make that comment as someone with a shed-full of power tools which I
bought before I knew any better. Enough hand-planes to make the surface
planer/joiner no longer be on your list are a very small investment of
money and space. Look for used ones of "user" (rather than collector)
grade, or buy new ones from Lee Valley, which seem to be the best bang
for the buck, new, IMHO.

Router table is an easy self-build, you have a router already.

Creative use of saw guides and circular saw make table saw a
low-priority purchase with what you have. Look for a good deal on a used
one locally if you desire it greatly, but you don't *need* one.

Missing power tools that expand your work capabilities, rather than
providing other ways to do things you can already do: Lathe, bandsaw.

Thanks for the input and VERY good points.

Take your point about the handtools and hope that I didn't misrepresent by
my comments about power tools. I have a variety of hand tools (inherited
from my father who was a cabinet maker) and do use them, no so much as the
power tools, but such is.

Space isn't much of an issue, so long as I am careful about how I use it. I
have a 16' square workshop which apart from a little storage clutter is
about the right size for a "home" shop.