Posted to alt.home.repair
kool kool is offline

Default Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"kool" wrote in message
Galvanized sched. 40 pipe is not only approved but is recommended for
natural gas use, specially outdoors and/or underground,in most
juridictions.

One of us has "read up"

From YOUR first link

2. Shall be standard weight wrought iron or steel (galvanized or black),

Who do you believe True hardware or Union Gas?

You ignored and left out
6. Galvanized coated pipe is not deemed adequate coating for underground
use.

In the first post (see what I left above for your reference) you stated
galvanized is recommended for underground. This specifically states that
it is not acceptable. Read what you wrote, read what was posted in the
link that you referenced. See the contradiction?

Furthermore, I referenced Ace Hardware. Why are you bringing True Value
into this? Having reading comprehension problems?

Excuse me Edwin, you did reference Ace Hardware and not True Value, I did
have a reading comprehension problem with that, I am not sure that matters
much but I think I would take the word of a utility authority such as Union
Gas over ANY hardware store chain regarding gas code regulations, wouldn't
you?

I also said that galvanized pipe is prefered over black pipe for underground
installation , and left out the fact that ALL underground pipe , including
galvanized ,MUST be coated and wrapped except approved plastic.
I recently installed 130ft. of 1" galvanized sched.40 pipe across a flat
roof on a commercial building and had it approved and passed by local
inspector as I am a Class 1 gas fitter. Are you?

Just in case you didn't check the reference:

Use of galvanized pipe in a natural
gas piping system
Code Clarification
procedures issue date 1998-07
supercedes
page issue date
approved by
section
reference 01.9

QUESTION
The new Code no longer specifically
bans the use of galvanized piping in a
natural gas system. By the Code silence
on the use of it, is it now acceptable?

ANSWER
Refer to Clause 5.2.1 in the Ontario Gas
Utilisation Code.
Galvanized pipe is steel, hot-dipped,
zinc coated, welded and seamless pipe
which complies with the ASTM A53
Standard. Black pipe is actually
galvanized pipe that is treated with a
black coating but still complies with the
ASTM A53 Standard.
In the past, the high sulphur and
moisture content in the gas caused a
vapour to form which was corrosive to
the galvanised coating resulting in
flaking off of the coating which plugged
gas valves. Gas supplies are now dried
and processed in a manner that removes
95% or more of the moisture and
sulphur content.
Also, at one time prior to the use of copper
tubing, all water piping was galvanized
pipe, which after installation could
become confused with galvanized natural
gas piping.
Due to the changes in natural gas content
and plumbing practices, it was decided
that "galvanized" pipe and fittings is now
acceptable for use with natural gas if a
person wishes to use it.