Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

On Jul 19, 1:20 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
"Kevin G. Rhoads" wrote:
Again, that was roughly my thought. In years past I'd have used

Norton disktools with
some certaintly that it would find what's up. Not sure what to

do now. It's formatted
as FAT(32) not NTFS if that helps.

Boot win98's DOS from a floppy and see if you can "see" the

drive. Win9x is
much better at dealing with imperfect drive issues than is NT/

2000/XP and
plain DOS is even better than win for drive funnies.

Thanks for that advice.

But try SPINRITE first.

Is there a trial version ? It's $89 to buy.

Graham

I had a Maxtor 300 gig drive go toes up April 13 (yep, Friday). 260
gig NTFS partition showed up as un-formatted, no partition info. My
brother suggested "GetDataBack for NTFS". It took 6 hours to walk
through the partiton and re-construct the directories so that they
could be copied to a new drive. You can try this for free and then pay
the registration to actually recover the data. Nearly everything was
salvaged. The casualties were small (50 Kb) word files but almost all
the photos and .WAV files were fine. There is also a version for FAT
for $10 less. It wasn't a fun week but it ended up better than I
hoped.

GG