Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how to replace a flush valve gasket - when you can't fully turn off the water

I noticed that water was leaking underneath my flapper gasket a couple
of days ago. I reached down to feel it and the rubber started to
disintegrate so it looks like it may have been compromised. I went to
go turn off the water underneath the toilet and suprise - that doesn't
shut the water off totally. So I'm going to have to turn off the main
to take care of this - that gives me another problem - the last time I
shut off my main a constant trickle still came out of the pipe.
Everywhere I look online seems to only give instructions on replacing
the flapper - not the valve it connects to. It seems like I'll have to
take the tank off the toilet to take the part off so that means I have
to find some way to drain the trickle coming from the pipe. It's a
little too much for just a bucket - especially since I need to take
the pieces to the store to match them up. Is it possible to connect
some kind of hose to the disconnected pipe to drain the water into the
tub or toilet while I fix the valve? My brother-in-law seem to think
the valve leading the the tank might fit a garden hose.