Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Electrical Install Questions

"Kevin Dressel" wrote in message
The garage roof is built using trusses as
you'll see in the photos (I'd like to use some of the empty space up
there for light storage....holiday stuff, small boxes, etc.)

Find out what the load carrying capability is before you do that. Trusses
are designed to hold a lot of weight on top of them, but not to act as a
floor with weight pulling down.

Anyway, I am now ready to feed electric into the new garage. My current
intention is to run two circuits - one for the outside outlets / lights,
and one for the interior outlets / lights.

That being the case, I've been reading up on wiring - both on the
web/usenet and in several reference books - and I think I'm now ready
tackle this project.

You are not ready yet. The questions you have should be covered in a good
book. You need to read up a bit more if you are going to tackle the job.

Most garages end up with some power tools too. What circuit are they going
to be on? Surely not the lighting circuit because you don't want to be
standing in the dark when an overloaded saw kills the breaker. Putting in
that circuit now is much easier than later. Using 14-2 for lighting
circuits makes sense too as it will be cheaper, easier to work with; use the
12-2 for the receptacles. Consider a sub panel for your setup.

You need more help than we can readily supply here.