Steve Lusardi

Default Cleaning up a machine in daily use

I have read all this thread with interest and no one has talked about any
environmental issues. Solvents, all of them, create a disposal issue that
can be very expensive and criminal when not observed. This is especially
true in Europe. Additionally, solvent fumes can also be a problem, both as a
fire hazard as well as a health risk. I have found a solution which works
very well for me. I buy an industrial strength cleaner, similar to the old
"409", but a hundred times stronger. It is used to clean large truck
taupalins and cargo covers. It is only available by the barrel. I put it in
a spray bottle and use a chip brush with shortened bristles, scrub in
circles and wipe away with a paper towel. This does not harm any paint that
I have encountered. It will easily dissolve 30 year old dry oil varnish,
something that most solvents won't even budge. Once done properly, I
directly spray a paper towel and wipe down the machines once a week very
quickly. No muss, no fuss!
Steve

"GMasterman" wrote in message
Guys, I'm looking for suggestions for cleaning my lathe and mill without

having
to diassemble it. I need to get rid of the accumalated gunk and swarf that
loves to cover the bottom of the chip pan and all the little nooks and
crannies. I've done spots with brake cleaner and it does a decent job but

still have a lot of ares that I do not want to get brake cleaner in to go.

What
kind of solvent/cleaner do ya'll use and how often. I go through this a

couple
of times a year when they get so nasty that I am ashamed for anyone to

walk in
and see them. Been turning a lot of poly and find that I am getting too

many
oily fingerprints on my turn parts! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!