Posted to alt.home.repair
Baylynx Baylynx is offline

Default Concrete Slab vs. Brick patio

On Jul 19, 10:36 am, "carnesio24"
wrote:
What makes more sense for us to do. We are doing a walkout from the front
of our house with a patio. We dont live on the lake but have a great view
of the lake just off of it. We get very cold winters in Northern Michigan
and the wind blows directly at our house from off the lake. We also have
Clay beneath where the patio will be.....Does anyone have a suggestion.
It has been my experience that the Slab always cracks, but I would like a
professional opinon. Thank you

Ryan Dove

Concrete is an impervious hardscape and has a cold unnatural look
about it. How about flagstone or some other natural stone? Bricks or
pavers will work too, depending on the look you want. I prefer the
look of natural stone because it blends in well with surrounding
landscape. Don't use mortar though to anchor the stone. Instead use
crushed granite or a similar natural material. This way your stone
patio will not crack when your clay soil expands and contracts.