Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
joseph2k joseph2k is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

Eeyore wrote:

msg wrote:

James Sweet wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

A HDD of mine (IBM Deskstar 20GB IC35L020AVER07-0) 'died' when I
restarted Windows (XP btw FWIW).

There's some really good tools out there, unfortunately I forget the
name of the one I used, but I found a free demo of it online a couple
years ago.

I recommend tools from Ontrack (A well-known hard disk software and data
recovery company located here in my home state);

They're still around ?

I have used Ontrack tools in the past but I imagined they'd gone the way
of all things.

I frequently use ODRN (Ontrack Data Recovery for Netware) and it has
worked wonders
to salvage file systems despite significant bad blocks and failing servo
tracks. There are other versions of ODR for other O/S platforms.
FWIW I also use an antique version of Norton Diskedit (DOS) to work at
the sector level on scsi drives.

Yes. If only a modern OS would let you do that !

I well recall a specific instance where I'd goofed slightly due to poor
documentation (jumper settings in the early days of IDE master/slave
drives) and thankfully didn't panic and **** up. Norton sorted it. But
then again, Norton wasn't Symantec back in those days.

Don't you love it when Norton says 'this drive has a damaged partition
table. Would you like to recover it ?'

Graham

If you try Knoppix you may want to use smartmontools and parted. Try them
if you get a chance.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*