Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

kool wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Doug Miller wrote:
In article AcBni.130604$NV3.28701@pd7urf2no, "kool"
wrote:
wrote in message
.net...
That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep
them in business for when you need quality and service.

Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once.
Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized
pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.

As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he
politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings
for
gas?"
I don't get it.?
Galvanized pipe and fittings are for water, not gas.

Or more specifically for OP if indeed didn't know, galvanized is not used
for gas because impurities in natural gas can react negatively w/ the
zinc.

That's an old wives(husbands) tale.This used to be the case years ago when

No, it's code in many places and was based on corrosion tests/results.

There's a fairly recent paper on it on the web that confirms some issues
still (mostly w/ imported LNG) that I looked at not very long ago but
I'm not interested enough to dig it up again at the moment.