Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Falcon16 Falcon16 is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

On Jul 18, 10:46 pm, Spurious Response
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:28:08 +0100, Eeyore

wrote:
Those are live/install CDs.

Yes. And that is a good or bad thing in exactly what way ?

Keyed more toward installing. Knoppix is keyed heavily toward good auto
detect routines for hardware, and a great driver compliment. So it
nearly always gets you into the gui, and if the drive lives, you'll see
it. Burn a disc or two of it's contents and make a doorstop out of it.

well if it's a cyclic redundancy error that means that the key that
windows has on file for the data on the drive no longer matches what
the drive is reporting ergo drive is corrupted. Deskstars of that age
are notorious for dying randomly (my uncle went through 2 pairs of
drives in his raid 0 before switching to seagate 320GB SATA with a
controller card earlier this year) Desktars are known in the computer
world as deathstars for a reason. I've never personally had one die
on me but then again the 2 laptops I had previous to this one (a
thinkpad I series and a dell latitude (don't flame I was in college
when I bought the first one and it died on me and the dell was
purchased by my parents as a replacement it was used and I sold it to
buy the acer dual core i'm typing this post on) . back on point junk
the drive unless you really really need the data and go with a
seagate, WD or Maxtor drive all better drives and with prices now
falling (I live in Canada and 500GB drives are now $130) you can get ~
20-30 times the disk space for pennies hope this helps