Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Jeffrey Bill Jeffrey is offline

Default Fan Power Consumption

Joe wrote:
In article , Bill Jeffrey
wrote:

Joe wrote:
I have a Lasko Premium 20" three-speed box fan. I'd like to know how many
watts it uses, but so far I can't find any good info.

No wattage info on the box or the fan, no wattage info on the Lasko website.

Googling gets me wildly disparate numbers on wattage for "portable" fans.

Does anyone have reasonably accurate info? It would be nice to know how
many watts for each of the three speeds.

Thanks.

--- Joe

I have a 20" Lasko in front of me at the moment. My Kill-A-Watt says

99/136/196 watts
129/175/248 volt-amps
at 121 volts

And no, there is no electrical info plate or marking on any of several
of these cheapie box fans that I own.

Bill Jeffrey

Thanks a lot, Bill. Is your Lasko a model 3723? That's the one I have
(two of, actually).

Also, I went to the Kill-A-Watt web site. It looks like you can't measure
any appliance running at 220 volts, correct?

I have a wall A/C unit in my apartment that plugs into a 220 outlet. I
read somewhere that even a fairly small one of these units uses 3500
watts. I imagine that the 3500 is only when the A/C is running the
compressor. So the average wattage would depend greatly on the outside
temperature, I would think.

--- Joe

Hey, I found the "electrical info plate" on the Lasko. It was stamped
into the sheet metal on the bottom of the fan. After being stamped, the
sheet metal was painted, which obscured the stamped info so completely
that the only way I can see it only with a bright light held at an
angle. As near as I can tell, it says
"Model 3723 (last two digits very unclear, could be almost anything)
Style EC437 (again very unclear)
Type 1
E20739
Listed 154C (UL symbol)