Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur 51 Arthur 51 is offline

Default Stair treads by T & G

On 18 Jul, 00:06, John Rumm wrote:
Arthur2 wrote:
I think this thread got distracted by the 'shooter' discussion.
Whats wrong with a flush/trim cutter with the router?

I think I am getting lost as well now ;-O

Which flush / trim cutter did you have in mind, and what were you
planning to do with it?

(you linked to a T&G cutter set before)

Flush trim cutters:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUSH-TRIM-KIT...M-LAMINATE-FRE...

are fine if you want to trim an overhanging top layer of something back
to be flush with a base layer. Quite handy when glueing veneer over a
base board.

One with a bearing diameter greater than the diameter of the cutter.

How much greater?

Piece of 6mm mdf gripping the wood from below via 2 half inch nails.

What wood?

To clarify.

-----------------------------------|
wood for tread |

--------------------|-------------|
6mm mdf | |
---
3/4" nail

The cutter will be a flush trimmer of say 3/8" diameter using
a 1/2" diameter bearing. The bearing will run against the mdf.

If you mean how to join square edged planks into a stair tread, then
glue and biscuits will work well.

Must be easy.

Probably is, but I think some detail is escaping my grasp at the moment.