Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default Chimney repair on a slate roof

wrote in message

I was going to buy a couple of
ladder hooks and essentially sit on the ladder which is handing off of
the ridge in order to do this work. The thing is, I'm not convinced
this won't damage the roof. I understand that it disperses my weight,
but in all likelihood I'll have some contact with the slate. How
likely am I to damage the slate? Any tips I should know about for
trying to work up on the slate roof?

I'm not a roof man by any means...depends how steep the roof is, the steeper
the roof, the more weight will be on the hooks and maybe your shingles will
not break.

Even if you hire someone, under these circumstances, make sure you have it
in writing that no damage will be done. Even would put a time span on it,
as the guy may crack a shingle and fix it with some chewing gum. A week
later it will fall off.

RichK