Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

Meat Plow wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
martin griffith wrote:

try a linux cd-live boot disk

I did that a while back.

Neither Ubuntu or Xubuntu would work. I'm very unimpressed.

Doesn't surprise me especially if it was formatted in NTFS.

It wasn't. FAT32. Call me a 'stick in the mud' if you like but I like stuff I
know works.

Well the linux kernel has no problems mounting FAT partitions. I use my
FAT formatted SD camera card here in Kubuntu all the time. And I prefer
NTFS over FAT any day

My reason for sticking with FAT was that I wanted W98 compatability.

Ah Win98, that's fair. Some like the simplicity of it. I use linux for
internet and XP for video/audio production.

I'm keen to explore Linux but my results to date haven't been very promising. It seems
to me that the much-touted 'live' CDs require a fairly modern PC to run. The trouble
is that they give no indication of whether or not the PC can support it or not.

I will keep trying though. I have another 'box' in mind.

Graham