Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default stanley #8 jointer plane

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

Lowell Holmes wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
william kossack wrote:
| I picked up a stanley #8 jointer plane over the weekend.

See if you can find a description of Mike Dunbar's scary sharp
method, his technique helps with free hand honing. It essentially is
holding the iron in front of you at full contact with the bevel edge
and moving the iron laterally be rocking your body back and forth
side ways. It works!

But an edge sharpened laterally is more likely to break off as the
scratches are running the width of the blade. Vertical sharpening,
with the scratches running the length of the blade, gives a stronger
edge.

When I'm done, there ARE no scratches. Just a glistening mirror finish
that looks great in the tool shrine.

You don't want to actually USE those puppies, do you? ;-)

Patriarch