Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Cleaning up a machine in daily use

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold & Susan Vordos writes:

I have high hopes you're not one of the fools that
chooses to clean with gasoline.

What's foolish about gasoline vs the other light hydrocarbons you are
advocating?

I'll assume you're jerking my chain here. Surely, you jest!

No, I'm not.

Flash point? I use a lot of VM&P naphtha for cleaning, that is what it is
sold for. Very similar to gasoline.

Yes, very similar. But that point is very similar, not identical. Flash
point of gasoline is -45 degrees F. Gasoline also evaporates very quickly,
creating an explosive atmosphere readily. Explosive limits 1.3/6.0

Flash point of Stoddard Solvent is 100/110 degrees F.

Petroleum benzin, naphtha, has a flash point of -40 degrees F.

Mineral spirits (Ligroin), which encompass a wide variety of solvents,
including VM&P Naphtha, have a flash point between the two, so they are
safer to some degree than gasoline. You may be using VM&P with success,
but your risks are higher than if you used Stoddard, and I'm not convinced
you benefit in any way with the VM&P. Stoddard dries completely, just as
VM&P does.

Personally, I'm not too interested in dying by fire, nor watching my house
or shop burn to the ground. I use the safest product available that is
suited to the job. Your call.

I would use the much cheaper gasoline, except for the unknown (and known)
non-hydrocarbon additives that may be unhealthy. At least the lead isn't
in there any more. Coleman sez you can burn it in their stoves.

Of course they do. Coleman fuel is white gas. Lead free gasoline typically
has additives to promote the application to better suite its use as an
internal combustion fuel, so there may be things in unleaded gas that would
provide no service for use in a stove, but don't prevent its use there.

Harold