Posted to alt.home.repair
mfreak mfreak is offline

Default riding mower on hill - how easy to flip?

To answer some q's, parts are readily available at the Fleet Farm by
my house. I can get tires, filters, bearings, belts, all the regular
maintenance stuff. The entire lot is about 33,000 square feet, -
house - driveway - deck - some little garden areas, I estimate the
lawn area to be around 26,000-28,000 sq. ft, I mowed it several times
with a push mower, and it takes about 1.5 hours if you're really
haulin ass, sweating, panting like a dog.. Pushing a mower a lot of
work..

I noticed a neighbor down the street with what looks like weights on
his wheels, they look like solid metal, about 15" around and a few
inches thick. If it IS metal they must weight at least 100 lbs
apiece. His yard was about the same slope as mine, I was watching him
flying around his yard real fast, turning up hill, it appeara that
extra weight really makes him stick well.

I think I might also like a counterweight in the front.. In one of
the spots on my yard, where I CAN go up and down the hill, it's also
the steepest part of the hill. I started at the bottom and went
straight up. I got about 2/3 of the way up, back wheels spun out. I
just let the rider roll backwards down the hill. I felt the front
wheels would come up and potentially flip over backwards if I popped
the clutch too hard. IF the wheels didnt spin out again anyway.

BTW, I bought it.. It's worth it, good condition, runs and cuts great.
So even if it doesn't work out I can sell it and I'm sure break even.
Anyway, I did my yard with it once so far, and it's not too bad, I
lean like a motorcycle racer and it stays up.. It's easy to get a
wheel off the ground though, so I'm still a little nervous.. I'd like
to try out some of those weights, see how much of a difference it
makes.

Comments? How much will weights help? What are 'outriggers'?
Google's not helping me figure that one out...

Thanks!