Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Philips MC-110 micro midi style stereo.

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
ian field wrote in message
TBH I'm not keen on working on audio stuff - especially ones that
have
mechanical bits and servos and stuff, so I may even weigh up the cost
of
someone else having a look against the price of a new one.

The CD plays normally for about an hour then the spindle motor
gradually
becomes erratic, slowing, stopping and occasionally going backwards,
I've
only had it about 4 years, which seems a bit soon to bin it so I
wondered
if
its a stock fault anyone can tell me where to look for?

TIA.

Prop it up at an angle for a few hours and see if the malfunction
occurs
much earlier or not at all then probably mechanical/ connection
problem than
electronic control problem. If mechanical then break/remake all
connections
would be a good start.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

When it first packed up I replaced it with a seriously cheap & nasty
deck, so I carried on using the Philips speakers and put the old deck
in the box with the tacky plastic speakers, recently I borrowed the
tacky speakers and while I had the box open had another play with the
Philips deck. Short of space to set it up in, it was on an uneven
surface anyway and I patted it about a bit to see if there were any
glaringly conspicuous dry joints/loose connections, its hard to tell
with erratic behaviour but patting it about didn't make a noticeable
difference.

Hi Ian, how's it going ? Did you know that Steve is hoping to get T @ H
going again soon as a web based publication? Different name again though

Is that one of the Philips units that has the three-player mech with the
trays that slide over one another ? If so, it's quite likely that the
laser is either dusty or worn. Be warned though that this is not an easy
mech to dismantle to get at the laser. There are timing issues if you
accidentally get it screwed up, which is easy enough to do, even without
dismantling it. Unless you have the instructions, or have done a lot of
them, you would never figure it out by trial and error ... Just as a
matter of interest, the electronics and spindle motors on these are
generally pretty reliable.

Arfa

Its a single CD player with synth tuned AM/FM and cassette, the CD deck
is on top and the "lid" flips up like the lid on a wheely bin, there's no
CD transport system or drawer - the CD is simply put on the exposed hub.

When the spindle turns correctly it plays ok although I did try one of
those laser cleaning disks with the little brushes on and a bottle of
iso-propyl.

Ah, OK. I know which one it is now. It's worth just giving the lens a
'proper' clean with IPA and a cotton bud. I've never been much enamoured
with the bristled cleaning discs. At best they don't do a very good job,
and at worst, I've seen the bristles get caught in a laser's
superstructure, and do damage to the lens carrier ...

Beyond that, the most likely problem is the laser itself. Stopping reading
after some period of operation, is a fairly common failure mode.

Arfa

Would a faulty laser cause the spindle motor to become erratic?

The disk reads OK until the spindle motor starts playing up.