Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney repair on a slate roof

wrote in message
ps.com...
Someone painted the
chimney and the paint is peeling and taking pieces of the brick/
masonry with it. I intend to scrape the chimney, get all of the loose
crap off, and repaint it with some top quality masonry paint
(suggestions?).

I had a quote from a gentleman last fall to do this work for about
$1000. Not easily deprived of my $1000 for such easy work, I've
decided to tackle the project myself. Here's the problem; the chimney
is located smack in the center of a slate roof.

Thanks for the laugh. You don't want to be deprived of $1000 for such easy
work, yet you can't figure out how to do it.

If the paint is peeling, I doubt it is taking brick with it. If the brick
is falling apart, it may take the paint with it. This is a case of finding
out the real problem and cause. It may not be so simple and water may be
causing even more damage.