Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Some problems with my first vase

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:34:28 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:24:29 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

a quick way to get that little nub out is a forstner bit mounted in your
tailstock with a drill chuck

Then, all you have to do is get the friggin' hole from the point of the forstner
bit smoothed out... BTDT got the t-shirt..

Being a devout coward, I use the largest, thickest round nose scraper that will
fit in the opening to smooth the bottom.. If I have to, I'll use my round
side-scraper, but a full round nose is a lot more stable and safer, IMO...

Ah but when the vase is say 10 inches deep and the opening only an inch
wide how do you get a scraper in there? The idea is to use the forstner
bit to take out the bulk of the cone leaving something that can be
easily taken care of with what ever hollowing tool you use

I don't do many narrow opening things, especially that deep, but at an inch wide
and 10 inches deep, I don't think my forstner bits would reach without some kind
of extension..

If it was 1" x 4" or so, I'd normally do the "hollowing" with a forstner bit
from the beginning and clean up the bottom with the Termite..
I've also got a couple of dowels in different diameters with rounded ends and a
split for sand paper, so I can get into bud vases and things and sand the
bottom..

In reality, if I was turning something with a 1" hole that was 10" deep, I would
be a lot more concerned with the sides for 6 or 7" then the bottom...
If they want to use a flash light to check if the bottom of the hole is nicely
sanded, they aren't going to buy anything.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing