Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
The Phantom The Phantom is offline

Default Fan Power Consumption

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:04:05 GMT, (Joe) wrote:

I have a Lasko Premium 20" three-speed box fan. I'd like to know how many
watts it uses, but so far I can't find any good info.

No wattage info on the box or the fan, no wattage info on the Lasko website.

Googling gets me wildly disparate numbers on wattage for "portable" fans.

Does anyone have reasonably accurate info? It would be nice to know how
many watts for each of the three speeds.

Thanks.

--- Joe

I have an older GE 20" window fan. It only has two speeds, but here are
the measurements:

Speed True watts Amps Volts Power Factor

Low 94 1.18 121.8 .6535

High 194 2.38 121.3 .672

Power was measured with a Yokogawa analog wattmeter; applied voltage and
current with a Fluke 189.

This power factor is probably typical for an induction motor of this size.