Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default need ideas for finding a plumbing leak.

marson wrote:

So here's the deal. I am building a new house which is basically
done, sheetrocked, finish floors, etc. The only problem is that we
can't get a plumbing final passed--seems like there is a fitting that
has come apart in the vent portion of the DWV. I am looking for some
brilliant ideas to find it, short of filling the system with water and
looking for the leak.. We have tried the "peppermint test" --dumping
peppermint down the vent, follwed by hot water, and can't smell
peppermint anywhere. We also tried a camera, but were unable to fish
it in the lines smaller than 3".

A few ideas I've had are--

1) devising a hillbilly smoke test--setting a shop vac to blow. Put a
little water in the tank, and add dry ice, and hook this up to pump
"smoke" into the system.

2) Hiring a guy with an infrared camera. Attach a heat gun to the
system. Pump heat and look for heat.

Anyone have any other ideas?

What is wrong with filling it up with water and looking for
the leak? That is one of the tests that is required for
plumbing topout around here. You can either use water or
compressed air, but with compressed air you have to seal
everything up including caps on the vents on the roof, so it
is much easier to put a test plug at the main drain and fill
with water until it comes out the lowest roof stack.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.