Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Central AC Advice

xModem wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:30:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

CJT wrote:

xModem wrote:

With the _same_ installer installing two furnaces - one a low-end
contractor-grade brand x, and a higher-end, higher-rated unit,
statistically,
the low-end, lower rated unit is going to have more problems.

Often they're built in the same factory, just marketed differently.

And, often they're not.

Might try looking at CR repair histories by vendor -- while not perfect
data by any means, there are trends there that are probably realistic.

Funny you should mention that.
The other day, I grabbed an article off ConsumerReports.com, rating gas
furnace repair frequencies.
Naysayers should bear in mind; these aren't CS's own opinions. They're the
result of a survey of 36,181 homeowners. Note that the survey was done in
2004 as well.

In order, from best to worst:

- American Standard
- Rheem
- Trane
- Ruud
- Bryant
- Carrier
- Heil
- York
- Amana
- Lennox
- Tempstar
- Goodman

Were the differences statistically significant? At what level of
confidence?