Posted to alt.home.repair
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default Simple electrical question

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
** Frank ** wrote:
I have a clothes dryer with a 120VAC push to start button. In measuring
the terminals, both sides are hot (120V) with respect to ground and zero
volts across the two terminals. Why is that?

I thought there was a short on one side of the push button but the dryer
is working properly. Normally it should be hot only on one side.

We could make more intelligent guesses if the OP told us whether those
measurements existed with the dryer running, off or either.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

The push button is normally open. Measurements existed with dryer off. Push
to start means the contacts short across the terminals. I use a very old but
reliable analog Simpson 260 meter for the measurements.