Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Cleaning up a machine in daily use

"GMasterman" wrote in message
Guys, I'm looking for suggestions for cleaning my lathe and mill without

having
to diassemble it. I need to get rid of the accumalated gunk and swarf that
loves to cover the bottom of the chip pan and all the little nooks and
crannies. I've done spots with brake cleaner and it does a decent job but

still have a lot of ares that I do not want to get brake cleaner in to go.

What
kind of solvent/cleaner do ya'll use and how often. I go through this a

couple
of times a year when they get so nasty that I am ashamed for anyone to

walk in
and see them. Been turning a lot of poly and find that I am getting too

many
oily fingerprints on my turn parts! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

DO NOT USE ANY WATER BASED CLEANERS! You don't really want the problems
they have the potential to provide.

There is nothing on the market that will serve you better than using either
Stoddard solvent or mineral spirits (paint thinner). Each of them will
clean all the hydrocarbons from the machine and leave nothing behind, and
won't effect the paint on your machines. You can use a paint brush to
apply the solvent, and allow the machine to drip dry when finished. Use a
generous amount of Oil-Dri (kitty-litter)around the machine to absorb
spills. Be sure to ventilate the room, too.

You can buy Stoddard solvent from most oil distributors. They carry it in
bulk and will gladly fill your 5 gallon container, at least where I've come
from. I highly recommend against using kerosene, diesel fuel and other
oils, none of which are SOLVENTS, in spite of their ability to dissolve
other oils. They do not dry clean the way solvents do. I have high hopes
you're not one of the fools that chooses to clean with gasoline.

Harold