Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC is offline

Default Help diagnose Motion Detector light problem

What did the manual, the actual instructions from the manufacturer say
about the installation of the new motion detector?

Not trying to be stupid, but I did not follow this. Since the electrician setup the wiring, the way
I wanted it, I figured that the motion detector could possibly have went bad. I had asked Home Depot
guy for a question on wiring and you guys told me he was wrong.

What I tried to do, was to just swap out the old motion detector for the new one and reconnect the
wiring that way. I was surprised that I got the same results from the old one. However, this seems
to indicate there may be no problem with the motion detector but somewhere else. Maybe it's a wiring
problem or some other problem related to the light turn on/off switch or the receptacle from where
the motion detector / light fixtures are connecting to the outside wall.

That's why I was trying to understand the way the electrician set this up. I think, my setup, is not
standard. Meaning, I did ask the electrician to change it so that the down "on/off switch" makes the
motion detector go on after being tripped and then shut off. The up "on/off switch" keeps the light
on all night. So I figured (that a standard way the motion detector directions are written are not
what is done for my layout.

I did confirm this, because when I glanced at the instructions, they obviously, did not mention my
setup.

So the answer is I did not try to follow the written instructions because of my layout is not
standard on what was working and what is how the setup is.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net