Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ceramic tiles over sheetrock for kitchen?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
We are thinking of installing ceramic tiles on the wall between the
integral backsplash and the underside of the wall cabinets when we redo
our kitchen. The wall is done with regular sheetrock (not greenboard). Is
this a good base for ceramic tiles, or should we rip that section out and
install tile backer board?

Depends how sloppy a cook you are. Near stove and sink, I'd want backer
board or at least greenboard. 4 feet away where it never gets wet or steamy,
vanilla sheetrock is probably fine.

But having said that- if you are replacing cabinets and counter as part of
the rehab, consider not doing normal 4" backsplash, and just having a
field-applied matching material to cover upper cabinet to counter wall
surface. You have to keep the lower joint well sealed, but a smooth panel is
easier to keep clean than multiple grout cracks.

aem sends...