Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ceramic tiles over sheetrock for kitchen?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We are thinking of installing ceramic tiles on the wall between the
integral backsplash and the underside of the wall cabinets when we redo
our kitchen. The wall is done with regular sheetrock (not greenboard).
Is this a good base for ceramic tiles, or should we rip that section out
and install tile backer board?

Above the backsplash it won't get enough water to really matter in all
likelihood, but a little extra can't hurt. If it weren't a real pita to
get to and you're doing a major remodel, I'd probably go to the trouble.
If it's just sticking some tile on the wall as a "dress-up" project,
otoh, I'd probably just slap 'em up there...