Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Fluorescent Light Help

In article , larry wrote:
While you're at it, you might consider switching to T8 bulbs. You'll
need to replace the bulb holders as well, but you'll get electronic
ballasts automatically.

I've had it with 22" & 32" circs and 6"-48" T whatever.
When ANY part fails, I pull the guts and add 1-4 standard
edison base sockets, and screw in 5w to 32w CFL's as needed.

Cost less that replacing the bad part and my box of $2
5/13/24w cfl's (HD 6 & 8 packs) will now replace everything.

I have seen quite a share of problems and insufficiencies with
fluorescents 22 watts or less, especially less than 15 watts, and ones
between 22 and 32 watts are a bit oddball and expensive.

4-footers are less expensive and 2-foot F17T8 I have been quite happy
with. My main problems with 4-footers are that some ballasts for F40T12
are lousy, and F34T12 can be "cranky", especially in cold or with a subpar
ballast.

Use of "true 40 watt" F40T12 or better still 17 and 32 watt T8 with
decent ballasts should do well where the fixtures fit well and look good.

A 4-footer usually costs less than a CFL and usually outlasts a CFL, is
more efficient than a CFL and has less of warmup issues than a CFL. What
CFLs are good for is where a good linear fixture is impractical, too big
or does not look good.

- Don Klipstein )