Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Fan Power Consumption

"Vey" wrote in message
nk.net...
Joe wrote:
I have a Lasko Premium 20" three-speed box fan. I'd like to know how
many
watts it uses, but so far I can't find any good info.

No wattage info on the box or the fan, no wattage info on the Lasko
website.

Googling gets me wildly disparate numbers on wattage for "portable" fans.

Does anyone have reasonably accurate info? It would be nice to know how
many watts for each of the three speeds.

Thanks.

--- Joe

If you really want to know the real numbers, rather than theoretical book
numbers, which are next to useless, you can buy clamp-on amp meters for
really cheap now. Then you would need an extension cord, where you
(carefully!!) split the wires, leaving both insulated, so that one could
be clamped around. These amp meters only work if one of the wires are
clamped. If you use an extension cord, you can use it for all sorts of
things around the house to see what they use too.

I was really surprised at how cheap these amp meters have gotten to be.
They are accurate, too. I took one over to a certifying lab and they
wanted to test it for free on a lark cause they couldn't believe anything
that cheap would be worth a damn. Not many years ago, they cost hundreds,
now they are down to $20 or so from he

There's much better solutions than that, especially for the novice.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation...4721430&sr=8-1

I have one, it does a good job of measuring voltage, amperage draw,
volt-amps, power factor, watts, and cumulative kilowatt-hours.