Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur2 Arthur2 is offline

Default Stair treads by T & G

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:

I was looking thru ebay at that idea earlier. The engineered wood
laminates appealed
to me as you get real wood surface. However, a potential buyer might see
a downside
in thinking it wil wear out in 5 years and need replacing.. I like this

The real engineered flooring materials have several mm of wood on top
(often about 6mm), such that you can sand them down a number of times.
They are in a different league to your typical laminate.

Something like:

http://www.vanillawoodfloors.co.uk/p...roducts_id=251

(the above is not a recommendation of the company - I have never used
them)

could probably be used directly as a tread

It would be better to find a laminate with the deepest possible real wood
layer I think.

You could make your own just by gluing thinish real wood onto your mdf
base, and adding a suitable full depth nosing.

I think this thread got distracted by the 'shooter' discussion.
Whats wrong with a flush/trim cutter with the router?
One with a bearing diameter greater than the diameter of the cutter.

Piece of 6mm mdf gripping the wood from below via 2 half inch nails.

Must be easy.

Arthur