Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Lead free solder or poor QC ?

Eeyore wrote in message

N Cook wrote:

Eeyore wrote
N Cook wrote:
Eeyore wrote in message

What are the wire and hole diameters ?

Its all re-assembled now , wire size only is measurable, 20 mil

diam.

What I was trying to acertain was whether the wire was a loose fit in

the
hole.
Solder doesn't like that.

the 1/3 W resistors have the same diameter leads and they have normal
volcanoes and presumably through the same size drillings

On principle I never presume anything like that. I use hole sizes from

0.7mm to
1.3mm in 0.1mm increments on my designs for a variety of seemingly routine
leaded parts.

Graham

A possible common feature.
Certainly with the recent one and IIRC the previous one, the errant joints
were where there had been beefing up over the traces to increase current
capacity. That process having been done after the full component solder
process as any cones were destroyed.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England