Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is there a correct way to run deck boards?

wrote:
I am going to build a deck across the front of my house. It will be 8
feet from the door to the steps, and 12 feet long. I have 8 foot deck
boards because I was able to get them really cheap. But if I run them
the 8 foot width of the deck, the boards will run from the door to the
steps. Somehow this seems wrong. In other words, when I go up the
steps toward the door, I'd be walking the length of the boards. It
seems that the boards should go the 12 foot length of the porch, thus
when I go up the steps, I will be walking from board to board as I go
to the door. This seems like it would look better. Sure, I will have
to splice the boards, but it just dont seem right to run them from the
door to the steps.

Is this correct? Is there a correct way to build a deck? I have not
yet built the framing, so I can go either way.

Recent "Ask This Old House", Tom Silva went and replaced a falling down
stoop/porch/entry deck. He specifically _CHOSE_ to run the decking the
way you're thinking to ensure water ran away from the house down instead
of pooling. Make sure the deck slopes slightly away from the house
either way you choose to go.

Also has the advantage of the stronger long grain at the overhang of the
top step meaning less likelihood of a split-off--a real concern w/ most
of today's less-than-ideal lumber.

So, the choice is yours but there certainly is precedent for either and
at least one example w/ reason for the perpendicular to the wall direction.

Personally, I'd look at it after laying out a few for the visual and
decide on that basis although having the possibility of no joints is
pretty strong motivation, too...

How's that for a definite "whatever..."????