Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Can this 12 V TV be fixed

"Nowhere" wrote in message

Look for a shorted diode near the input jack as others have
recommended. If you are handy with a soldering iron and a DMM you
might get lucky and be able to easily fix this.

So far so good

Got the back off and think I have identified the diode Right next to
the DC input around 7mm long in glass/plastic The two leads in are
colored red. It could well be blown but very difficult to see

If I get a multimeter and plug the adaptor in and check I could verify
a this I suppose

If I want to replace it where would I get another from and what would I
need to look for (Spec etc)

Thanks

Mike

It's been a while since I did one, but as far as I can recall, the diode is
a pretty 'standard' looking thing, about 5-7mm long, coupla mm or so on the
diameter, black plastic, white or silver band one end. I seem to recall it
being pretty obvious, near to the input socket, but that's to the
experienced eye. To check it, you don't want to be having the PSU connected
again. You need a normal multimeter, set to its ohms range. If it's an
alalogue one, and the needle goes right over when you hook it across the
diode, both ways, or same test with a digital, reading is close to 0.00
ohms, then you can be reasonably sure that the diode is short circuit. You
can further confirm this, if you like, by then snipping one end lead, and
measuring again, directly across the diode, between the intact lead, and the
lead stump left on the diode. If you still get a short circuit reading, then
with the diode still snipped, you can try applying power again, making VERY
DEFINITELY SURE that you have the polarity correct. All being well, the set
will come back up, and you will be able to verify that there is no
additional damage. If all is ok, remove the power again, and go ahead and
replace the diode. Type is not critical - any from the 1N400x series for
example, but make sure that you fit it the right way round.

Arfa