Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Some problems with my first vase

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 16, 6:02 pm, "George" wrote:

SNIP

My "pointy" gouge is for practical purposes an Oland with a flute ground
from a "detail" gouge. it makes short work of interiors, sweeping in to
out
and out to in, including shaving out the point.

George - I looked at your pics. How big is that bit in your Oland
tool? I have
made one that I like according to Darrell's page, and it cerainly has
its uses.
But my biggest bit is 3/16". The one you have looks quite a bit
bigger.

As indicated, it's a detail gouge - Hamlet, I believe, ground back to the
purpose. This one's a half-incher, as memory serves, while I have a quarter
and one even smaller. Only kind of "hollow form" I regularly make is an
ornament, and I use them for hauling the trash because they clear their
waste.

I use a termite to trim end grain at the bottom, because I stink with a
scraper.

Now that I had to laugh at. I have looked at some of the pics you
have posted in the past,
and with the stuff you are turning I would never have believed that
one.

Scraping is cutting at a high angle in my lexicon, and in the bottom of a
box, especially one with a fairly narrow opening, you can't get the required
angle to do the job right. I prefer to cut at a low angle, using my tools
firmly anchored to the rest with overhand grips, a technique which, in the
majority of cases would keep people from having to resort to a scraper.
Probably because they use the scraper firmly anchored and cutting so the
wood protests least - same as I with the gouge. I also have a steady, which
allows me to use both hands on the gouge rather than one for the piece and
one for the tool. Big help.

I am sure you know that there is a movement afoot (Mike Darlow was
lementing this a few
months ago in - I think- Woodturning Design) to teach scraping for all
manner of processes
as it is easier to teach than proper gouge usage.

Not really. Kids seemed to understand that the cut with the least hand
pressure was not only easier on them, but on the wood. Even the big "jock"
types were patient enough to tolerate the old man reaching around and
guiding with hands on hands until they got it.