Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stair treads by T & G

Arthur 51 wrote:

Finding 10" by 1" oak or beech is not very easy. So having ordered a
1/2" router
I can now consider T & G two 5" wide peices.(without bevelled join)
If I do some research on this will it be doable by a first timer or
expensive firewood?

I think I would go with a butt joint, with some biscuits for alignment.
An alternative would be to make an "engineered" tread, which is a MDF
base board, with a real wood layer on top. That gets you the best of
both worlds, the look of the real wood, and the dimensional stability of
MDF. Cheaper than solid hard wood as well.

--
Cheers,

John.