Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electrical Question

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:55:03 -0700, Alan
wrote:

Here is the weird thing. When I put my electrical sensor (I don't
have a volt meter, just the device that beeps if current is present)
to the wires of light B, it beeps as if current is present when the

I don't have one of these things that beeps, so I really don't know,
but does it beep when current is present, or when voltage is? If
current were flowing in the area between A and B, it's either going
through the lightbulb or a short circuit or something.

You know that there can be voltage without current, right?

switch is on. However, the fixture does not work. I have tried new
fixture and new bulb including moving the fixutre from A that I know
works there.

I am guessing that during remodeling they somehow hit the wire with a
nail or screw. But why do I show some current there at all? And if
they hit it with a screw/nail, shouldn't I get a short and keep
blowing a breaker when I turn on the lights?

Can anyone shed some light (sorry for the pun) on this for me? I am
hoping there is a good answer as trying to run a new wire will be
difficult and expensive for me.

You need to by a VOM, a volt-ohmmeter. They measure current too but
not AC current and not the amounts used by household appliances.

Turn off the breaker, screw a good lightbulb in... doorbell, got to
go.

Thanks.

Alan