Posted to alt.home.repair
xModem xModem is offline

Default Central AC Advice

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:38:45 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
"jay" wrote in message
ups.com...
When was the last time you had a professional maintenance
check on that system?

Most recently about two years ago. He added some freon.

Assuming that the technician really did add some refrigerant then you had
(have) a leak. Refrigerant doesn't get "used up" in a closed system. If
the technician added freon without offering to fix the leak then they are

hack. In either case, avoid purchasing a new system from the company that
did the previous sloppy maintenance.

So far local dealers quoted me REEM RAN13 for $3700 or Lennox 14ACX
for $5000. I'll check on Trane. Thx.

I'd recommend Trane / American Standard.

I'd recommend Arcoaire, Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, AirQuest, Keeprite,
Maratherm, Lennox, AirEase, Armstrong Air, Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Rheem,
Ruud, Weathermaker, Gibson, Frigidaire, Tappen, Maytag, Goodman, Janitrol,
York, Coleman, etc...

Anything but Trane / American Standard!!!!!

But you just finished saying:
quote
"No need too, the installer is far more important then the brand name!!!
end quote

I take it you're an installer, and I can see why you'd say that, because it's
good for business. OTOH, I prefer to purchase brands that have a decent
history of quality. While that's no guarantee that I won't have trouble, I'm
_less_likely_ than the buyer of the Yugo-quality item.

I like my regular vehicle mechanic, and he does a bang-up job, but I don't
want to see him any more often than I have to. The best tradesman can't make
a low-quality item a good product, and EVERY manufacturing sector has its
quality brands and it's also-rans.