Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Question: 2-way switch used with 3-way setup !?

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:27:54 -0700, wrote:

Doug,

That's exactly what I tought when I saw the setup. I am no
electreician but I have changed a few switch/dimmer before.

Could there be an unused wire I don't see. Is that possible ?

Exactly, the switch HAS to be ON for the light work. Is the 3rd wire
from my dimmer stopping at the light fixture ?

Though they are all pretty much the same viewed from one pov, there
are a surprising number of ways to wire three-ways. Anyhow, yet, it
might stop at the light fixture, or maybe it's tucked wayin the back
of the box that had the two-way switch. I'm thinking it's the latter.

If so what you could do is move the 3-dimmer to where the 2-dimmer
used to be, and put the 3-way back where it was.

If you really want the dimmer in the new spot, you can buy a new 3-way
switch and put it where the 2-way dimmer had been.

Again any info would help ...