Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Window replacement dilemma -- please help

... but based on the concerns about
aesthetics and property value, I think I've pretty much ruled out
slapping in cheap vinyls as a band-aid approach.

If the house has any real "character" at all, don't think you'll regret
that decision at all and probably will pay as well.

One thing to consider in that regard (and the prime reason for the route
we took here) is the interior woodwork. Depending on what is there and
how the house is finished out/furnished, slapping in a new replacement
window with a narrow, modern trim just is terribly out of place.
There's 6" wide sash here w/ a top header and bed mould w/ an end return
on the top, and a bead w/ return on the stool here. Losing that would
be an absolute crime imo...

But, of course, depends on what's been done before and what is to be
done now and in the future...