Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Question: 2-way switch used with 3-way setup !?

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:53:57 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

I just upgraded the swtich for my diner table light.

This light is controlled by 2 switch, one in the hallway and one
dimmer from the wall in the room itself.

When I took the switch out I noticed that the one in the hallway is a
3-way type (3 wires) but the dimmer has only 2 wires.

How can that be ???

I found exactly that setup in a relative's house once. This looks like
it used to be a normal 3-way system, but one of those switches was
replaced with a dimmer. The other switch is no longer used as a 3-way,
and is just in series with the dimmer (must be on to use the light).
If that is the case, you should find an unconnected wire (originally
the other 3-way traveler) in the box with the dimmer.

I installed a new 3-way dimmer where the 3-way switch was and a new 2-
way switch where the old dimmer was.

Of course, everything still works since I did not play with the wires
setup.

Any info would help ...

Thanks !

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
-- George Washington